Sunday, February 12, 2012

Our yearly skating event...

Okay so maybe we get out twice a year.  lol  It is supposed to be a nice week so we hope to go again one day this week after school.  We took the boys over to the Isle skating rink today.  It is Shane's birthday today, so we thought we would get out and do something fun.  Since we don't get out much, the boys aren't all so great.  I am surprised that Collin actually does better than Tyler.  By the end of our time, Tyler was getting there.  Tyler wants to grab onto stuff instead of trying to balance on his own so when he starts to loose it he just grabs on tight and his skates go out from underneath him.  Finally by the end I got him just to hold my hand just in case he would fall and not to hang from it as he tries to skate.  He did better using his stick, but only wanted to hold it to hit the puck and not to skate and balance himself.  He is just stubborn and won't take our advise.  I didn't think until now to point out to him all the times we as parents have been right.  Sometimes when we do that with him he stops and thinks sometimes.  I was proud of Tyler when he did skate down a good portion of the rink instead of crawling like he was initialing doing.  I kept motivating him by saying how good Collin did.

I love going to Isle's rink.  They have such a great set up.  You can even get a free cup of hot chocolate to warm up afterwards.  Shane has mentioned at a city counsel about purchasing some used boards to make a real rink instead of the crappy one we do have.  Maybe that way they would flood it more often so your not skating along and hit a patch of dirt.  Dangerous!  So hopefully next year the kids here will have something good to use and give them more to do here in the winter.  We would probably go out more if that was the case.

Now every year I say I am going to buy some skates.  I even tried some of those comfy one on once in Thief River, but they didn't have my correct size.  I just need to make it a priority.  Maybe this weekend  when I am in St Cloud.








No comments:

Post a Comment